PeopleSoft FluidUI Resources
By Chris Malek | Mon, Feb 2, 2015
Below are some important links that could be helpful when learning and developing PeopleSoft Fluid Applications
Links from Oracle
- PeopleSoft Fluid User Interface Experience in HCM
- This is a good video that shows what the Fluid UI looks like. It is a basic overview.
- PeopleSoft Fluid User Interface Concepts
- Getting Started with the PeopleSoft Fluid User Interface
More Detailed Videos
- Developing and Fluid Strategy - You tube video
- Offers an overview of Fluid
- Deploying Fluid Application
- PeopleSoft Spotlight Series: Developing Fluid Application
- Shows porting a classic page to a Fluid.
- This is a good starting point but does not cover complex topics.
Oracle Support Links
- Fluid UI best Practices (DocID 2136404.1)
- Must have document
- PeopleSoft Fluid User Interface Documentation Updates (Doc ID 1909955.1)
- White-paper: Converting Classic PIA Components to PeopleSoft Fluid Interface (Doc ID 1984833.1)
- Whitepaper: CSS Guide for PeopleSoft Fluid User Interface (Doc ID 1909955.1)
- This is an important document that you will want to keep handy as it has some documentation of the CSS classes that are delivered and how they should be used.
- PeopleSoft Fluid User Interface and Navigation Standards White Papers (Doc ID 2063602.1)
- There are some very important whitepapers that you should read and study very carefully. It has some design conventions about how to design fluid pages. It does not go into the detail as much as I would like but these are important reads.
- For some reason Oracle created 11 separate documents for these topics. These really need to be pushed into PeopleBooks or consolidated.
- These are also available at the Fluid UX Documentation Site
PeopleTools release notes are very important to read as they can describe changes to functionality or deprecation of functionality.
- PeopleTools 8.54 Release notes
- PeopleTools 8.55 Release notes
Dan Sticka wrote two really excellent books on Fluid. They are thorough and lead you through all the nuances of fluid (there are many). You need to buy these and read them. Dan provides excellent documentation and examples.
- This book has a basic Fluid UI introduction. It does not go into a deep-dive into fluid development. If you are looking for a deep-dive into fluid this book is not the correct place to look.
- This book covers a bunch of topics at a very high level including Fluid, MAP and MAF. These are all very complex topics that all required many books on their own. So you should treat this book as an overview of all those technologies and they will give you and understanding of the pieces for each. Then from there you can deep dive into the appropriate topic.
- PeopleSoft online Help - Fluid User Interface Developer’s Guide
- See the Hosted PeopleBooks for your PeopleTools release notes
Links from Around the Web
- Grey Heller Video - Fluid UI
- I would say this is a must watch video as an intro to Fluid.
- Grey Heller Video - Fluid UI Security
- This video is more of a demo for their ERP Firewall product but I include it here as there are some good examples and issues to think about.
- PeopleSoft Fluid UI: Technical Deep Dive HEUG Session (required HEUG.org login)
- Session by Oracle Product manager. This has some really good nuggets from an internal person.
- Sasank Vemana’s PeopleSoft Blog
- Sansank has several Fluid UI Tagged articles
Important Web Design Links
PeopleSoft Fluid UI uses the CSS Flex Box Layout. You need to understand the Flex Box and CSS in general.
- Lynda’s Building Responsive Forms with Flexbox
- Wes Bos’s excellent “What the FlexBox” video training
- You really need to watch this series.
- CSS Tricks Flex Box Article
- Really good flex box reference that you will need
- Another Flex Box cheatsheet by Joni
- caniuse.com documents all the evolving web standards and gives you cross reference of what browser versions are supported. This is an amazing resource.
Additional PeopleSoft Topics
PeopleSoft Topics you need to potentially know
- Pivot Grid - for Fluid Search
- Oracle SES - For Fluid Search
- The interesting thing here is the Oracle is no longer offering SES as a stand alone product and will start integrating with ElasticSearch. However, SES will still be used for some Oracle products including PeopleSoft.
new Do you need a quick way to create web services?
PeopleSoft Simple Web Services (SWS)
Introducing a small but powerful PeopleSoft bolt-on that makes web services very easy. If you have a SQL statement, you can turn that into a web service in PeopleSoft in a few minutes.Read More & Purchase
Integration Broker - The Missing Manual
I am in the process of writing a book called "Integration Broker - The Missing Manual" for which you can read online for free.Read Online